Friday 21 January 2011

Seventeenth Century Nun's Prayer

My husband and I use to work together to manage and run a coffee shop business in Oxfordshire for few years, that coffee shop was in one of the oldest buildings in south facing part of Abingdon. Apparently it was built in 15th century. Its loft, which was then extended in 18th century, had some bric-a-brac in. One of the previous owners of that building must have thought of dumping old photo frames in that gap of extended loft may be to upgrade their photo frames collections or  may be to get rid of them. In year 2007 when we had heavy down pours we noticed some water dripping from the ceiling so my husband thought of getting in the loft to see if there was any problems in the roof or roof tiles. We managed to get it sorted and fixed but were surprised to see tons of picture frames lying in the gap of two lofts. We had two options either selling them or displaying them in our coffee shop. We opted to display few in coffee shop and live rest for our friends. All pictures were black and white and most of them were sketches of beautiful girls dancing or working in traditional English pubs and tearooms. There were few pictures, which had Egyptian ladies cooking, and serving food to their gods. One of the picture frames was very unique it did not have any pictures but had some script on it, which read Seventeenth Century Nun's Prayer author unknown. I was very pleased having found it and thought of displaying it on the way to stairs leading to first floor seating. Ever since then I always made it a point to read it once in a week, which was mostly done on Sunday mornings, my day off. The reason why I enjoyed reading it was because it had unexplained depth to it. Every time I read it I got different meaning, different expose to real essence of my life. I felt I wasn't alone. I felt I am not any different. I felt I was only human. I was always so busy doing different things that reading Seventeenth Century Nun's Prayer every Sunday just became a routine and I never thought of looking for its author or its origin. Today I was reading beautiful Christian story '' A Bible for Graduation'' and it said author unknown, this event connected me to the event when I first read Seventeenth Century Nun's Prayer and never knew whom the author was. So thought of doing some online search hoping to find the author for that beautiful, inspiring prayer. Alas! I still have no clue who was the author.
I thought of sharing it with you all because it is so inspiring. We need not have to be religious or believe in a particular religion to read this prayer. I personally feel this prayer is not to speak reverently to god or a god in order to express thanks or make request.  This is beautiful piece of work, which is actually helping us to reflect in self and also feel good that we are only humans.
Here it goes,




Lord, You know better than I know myself that 
I am growing older and will someday be old. 
Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say 
something on every subject and on every occassion. 
Release me from the craving to straighten out everybody's affairs. 
Make me thoughtful, but not moody. Helpful, but not bossy. 
With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all, 
but You know, Lord, I want a few friends at the end.
Keep my mind free from the endless recital of details;
give me wings to get to the point. Seal my lips on my aches and pains. 
They are increasing, and love of rehearsing them 
is becoming sweeter as the years go by.
I dare not ask for grace enough to enjoy the tales
of others' pains, but help me to endure them with patience.
I dare not ask for improved memory, 
but for a growing humility and a lessening cocksureness 
when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others. 
Teach me the glorious lesson that occassionally, I may be mistaken.
Keep me reasonably sweet. I do not want to be a saint 
- some of them are so hard to live with.
But a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil. 
Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places, 
and talents in unexpected people. 
And give me, Lord, the grace to tell them so.
Amen 

1 comment:

  1. My Mother had this framed in a prominent place in her home...and now I have it as well - right where I can't miss it. I treasure it more than anyone can know. As we "age" these are words to be reminded of!!! Help me do this, LOrd!!!

    ReplyDelete